Amend at UCSF works to transform correctional culture inside prisons and jails and reduce the debilitating health effects of those environments.
Amend offers a multi-year immersive program drawing on practices in Norway and elsewhere to inspire changes in correctional cultures. Our program provides direct training and technical support to promote an approach known as “dynamic security,” where all interactions between officers and residents of correctional facilities are aimed at supporting residents to change their lives for the better so that they can live healthier, more productive lives upon their return to their communities.
The Amend at UCSF program includes:
- Facilitated immersion programs in Norway for policy makers and frontline correctional staff
- A job shadowing experience for correctional officers
- An intensive culture change training program for participating correctional staff
- Direct funding for officer-resident led culture change pilot projects
- Long-term technical assistance and research and evaluation