The Amend Team is developing real-time strategies and guidance for correctional facilities grappling with the life threatening challenges of COVID-19.
Amend Guidance & Tools
COVID-19 in Jails and Prisons: Essential Information for Non-Medical Correctional Staff: The webinar above was created by Amend at UCSF and their team of physicians and correctional and public health experts. It provides up-to-date information on COVID-19 specifically for non-medical correctional staff. It was recorded on April 2, 2020. If you have questions or concerns that you would like us to address, please contact our program manager, Kevin Reeder at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will update this material regularly. You can also sign up for our newsletter here.
Amend in the News
- The Appeal: The Pandemic Exposes the Shared Fates of the Jailed and the Jailer
- Health Affairs: Correctional Facilities In The Shadow Of COVID-19: Unique Challenges And Proposed Solutions
- The Appeal: A Public Health Doctor and Head of Corrections Agree: We Must Immediately Release People From Jails and Prisons
- Wired: Covid-19 Poses a Heightened Threat in Jails and Prisons
- Quartz: Coronavirus risk looms large for America’s elderly and sick prison population
- The Marshall Project: This Chart Shows Why The Prison Population Is So Vulnerable to COVID-19
- SF Examiner: SF Moves to Release Inmates Fearing Coronavirus Outbreak Behind Bars
- CDC Interim Guidance on COVID-19 in Correctional and Detention Facilities
- World Health Organization: Preparedness, prevention and control of COVID-19 in prisons and other places of detention
- European Committee for the Prevention of Torture and Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment (CPT): Statement of principles relating to the treatment of persons deprived of their liberty in the context of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic
- Penal Reform International COVID-19 Resources
- International Corrections and Prisons Association (ICPA) COVID-19 Resources
- The Lancet’s COVID-19 Resource Centre
- United Nations: High Commissioner Michelle Bachelet’s call to action
- Coronavirus Disease 2019 in Geriatrics and Long-term Care: The ABCDs of COVID-19
Comprehensive recommendations for elected officials, correctional system leadership, correctional healthcare providers, and incarcerated patients and their families will be added frequently so continue to check this page for updates. Please visit our CONTACT page to share a need, tell your story, provide feedback, or request assistance.